[symple_googlemap title=”Pasadena robbery” location=”1237 Lincoln Ave, Pasadena, CA” height=”300″ zoom=”16″]

Some armed robbery “victims” just won’t cooperate, and a 21-year-old suspect found that out the hard way.

The Pasadena man was in custody Thursday on suspicion of attempted murder after firing a gun at an uncooperative shopkeeper in a wild car chase after a botched robbery attempt, police said.

Despite seeing the robber’s gun, the shopkeeper tossed items at the gunman, forcing him to escape. But the shopkeeper and others in the store jumped into their cars and followed the suspect’s getwaway vehicle. It was then that the suspect allegedly fired at least one round at his pursuers.

Police officers went to Chan’s Market at 1237 Lincoln Ave. about 12:50 p.m. Wednesday in response to reports of a robbery and shots fired, the Pasadena Police Department said in a statement.

The suspect, Pasadena resident Justin Bryson, entered the market armed with a handgun and wearing a bandana to cover his face, police said. There were five people inside, including the shopkeeper, a 57-year-old La Crescenta man; a 47-year-old woman from El Cajon; and three females from Pasadena, ages 70, 50 and 10.

When Bryson demanded money, police said, the shopkeeper veered away from the register and began throwing objects at him, and Bryson fired his weapon in the shopkeeper’s direction.

Bryson then pointed his gun at the El Cajon woman as he left the store, running north on Lincoln Avenue, according to officials. After Bryson left, police said the shopkeeper and the three Pasadena natives got in their respective vehicles to chase him.

As he was being chased by both vehicles, Bryson “possibly fired at least one gunshot at the victims,” according to police, and was able to elude his pursuers near MacDonald Street between Mentone Avenue and Glen Avenue, police said.     Police then set up a search perimeter, using officers from the Special Enforcement Section, a helicopter crew and bloodhounds from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, police said. Officers found Bryson in the 200 block of MacDonald Street, where he surrendered, the statement said. He was then arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and booked into the city jail, where he was being held without bail.

—City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.