Police were trying to identify suspects in a mass shooting Saturday that killed three people and wounded at least 12 others at a West Adams home that had been turned into a makeshift restaurant.
The three people who died in the gunfire were pronounced dead at the scene and at least a dozen injured were hospitalized in conditions ranging from extremely critical to stable, according to Los Angeles police Officer Mike Lopez.
No suspects were in custody by Saturday night, despite broadcast reports that there were arrests, according to Lt. Chuck Springer of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Southwest Station.
“We have people we’re looking at,” Springer said. “We’re still looking at the possibility that one or more people injured may be criminally liable for what happened. They could potentially be suspects.”
One TV station reported a male and female were taken into custody, detained and released, and that both had gunshot wounds.
Other broadcast reports claimed a woman was in custody.
Another station reported police were looking for a man and a woman.
“We have been told by some folks in the area that there was a makeshift restaurant there (at the home),” Springer said.
“We must take action against easy access to firearms and the thoughtless, indiscriminate, murderous use of them,” Mayor Eric Garcetti said. “We cannot tolerate these tragedies multiplying in communities across America.
“We have every confidence that the LAPD’s investigation will answer the many questions about what happened, and why,” Garcetti said.
Officers were dispatched at 12:30 a.m. to the area of Rimpau and Jefferson boulevards in response to a “shots fired” call, Springer said.
“Unknown number of people became involved in an argument. They (the suspects) either came back and began shooting or the shooting began just prior to them leaving,” he said. “Up to three people were involved in the shooting.”
The genders and ages of the victims were not disclosed. Their names will be released pending notification of next of kin, according to Lt. Dave Smith of the coroner’s office.
“Los Angeles grieves for the senseless loss of lives in one of our most cherished neighborhoods. My prayers go out for the victims and their families,” Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer said.
“I urge anyone in the community with information to help our police so the perpetrators are brought to justice and our streets are made safer,” said Feuer, who is also co-chair of Prosecutors Against Gun Violence. “And we all must come together to take every step we can to end gun violence.”
—City News Service