[symple_googlemap title=”” location=”600 Gibbel Rd., Hemet” height=”300″ zoom=”15″]

A jury deadlocked Monday in the retrial of a 69-year-old man accused of shooting his neighbors in an argument over noise from two barking dogs at the Hemet duplex they shared.

After deliberating two days, the panel weighing the fate of Michael Allen Quinn informed Riverside County Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Prevost that it could not overcome an impasse, prompting the judge to declare a mistrial.

The jury’s vote, which did not change from the outset of deliberations, was 8 to 4 in favor of convicting Quinn of two counts each of attempted voluntary manslaughter and assault with a firearm.

It’s the second time a jury has deadlocked in the case. Last September, another panel split on whether to convict Quinn of the same counts, after finding him not guilty of attempted murder.

Deputy District Attorney Jess Walsh told City News Service that no decision has been made regarding whether to retry Quinn a third time. The D.A.’s office is expected to announce its intentions during a status conference on May 19 at the Banning Justice Center.

Quinn remains in custody in lieu of $145,000 bail at the Smith Correctional Facility in Banning.

According to testimony, Quinn shot Lonnie Wicks and his adult son, Andrew Wicks, after becoming enraged over two dogs barking inside the victims’ residence in the 600 block of Gibbel Road on the afternoon of July 22, 2015.

The neighbors shared a common wall, and Quinn began banging on it after listening to the dogs for a minute or two, according to police.

The dogs — a husky and a Chihuahua mix — had been an ongoing nuisance, creating tension between the neighbors for some time, investigators said.

When Andrew Wicks went to confront Quinn about the banging, the defendant “came out of his house yelling” at the younger man, according to a trial brief filed by the prosecution.

As the two men exchanged words, Quinn’s then-37-year-old adopted son, Jamile Devon Jenkins, joined the fray, allegedly arming himself with a baseball bat and striking Wicks in the knees.

The victim yelled to a female friend to wake his father, who was resting in a back bedroom, unaware of the fracas. According to the prosecution, Lonnie Wicks immediately went to his son’s aid, grabbing the bat away from Jenkins and throwing it over a fence.

At that point, Quinn went inside his residence, grabbed a .38-caliber revolver and re-emerged on the front porch, leveling the pistol at Lonnie and Andrew Wicks, according to the prosecution.

Quinn allegedly fired a shot into the right side of Andrew Wicks’ face, causing the victim to crumple to the ground. The defendant then turned and fired a shot at Lonnie Wicks, who was hit in the back of the head. The bullet lodged in the rim of his skull and did not penetrate any farther, prosecutors said.

Quinn allegedly attempted to fire three or four additional shots, but the revolver misfired each time. Hemet police officers arrived moments later and took him into custody.

Jenkins was also detained and questioned, but investigators didn’t immediately arrest him. The convicted felon was later charged with assault likely to produce great bodily injury. He was called to testify for the defense but invoked the Fifth Amendment, declining to say anything. He’s expected to be tried in the next few months.

Quinn testified that he feared for his life and that of his son when he armed himself with the gun. He insisted that he opened fire to protect the two of them.

Lonnie and Andrew Wicks underwent surgery at an inland trauma center and eventually recovered from their wounds.

— City News Service 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.