La Tuna Fire
The La Tuna fire at its height viewed from a Burbank Police Department helicopter. Courtesy of the department

Exhausted firefighters Sunday were finally in the mopping up stages after they achieved 100 percent containment of the La Tuna Fire that charred nearly 7,200 acres since igniting last week.

Mayor Eric Garcetti had termed the blaze the largest conflagration in Los Angeles history, although the flames also roared in nearby cities such as Burbank and Glendale.

Firefighters remained on the scene in case any sparks flared up, but “there is an earthen berm all the way around” the fire, said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department said Saturday.

The blaze broke out Sept. 1 forcing the full shutdown of a long section of the Foothill (210) Freeway for two days. Cooler temperatures and rain over the Labor Day weekend, coupled with lighter winds, aided the firefighting effort.

The fire scorched 7,194 acres of brush around the Verdugo Mountains.

All mandatory and voluntary evacuation orders in Los Angeles, Glendale and Burbank were lifted last Sunday, which is also when the Foothill (210) Freeway was re-opened.

The fire at one point threatened about 1,400 homes, and destroyed five homes and five outbuildings.

The cause of the blaze remained under investigation.

Ten injuries were reported, including six firefighters and one civilian with “heat-related illness,” one firefighter with minor burns, one firefighter who suffered an allergic reaction, and one civilian who suffered an eye injury. All were treated and released, officials said.

Gov. Jerry Brown declared a state emergency in Los Angeles County due to the fire just days after it broke out. Los Angeles declared a local emergency as well.

The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday unanimously approved a proclamation of local emergency, which was to be forwarded to Brown’s office to access state and federal assistance.

— City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.