The body of a homeless man who had been beaten to death was found beneath the Santa Monica Pier Thursday, and authorities were working to determine if the killing was linking to similar attacks on homeless men in downtown Los Angeles.

The body was found around 6:30 a.m. by city maintenance workers. Police said the man, believed to be in his 30s, appeared to have been beaten on the head with a blunt instrument.

The killing bore striking similarities to a trio of attacks on homeless people that occurred between 4 and 5 a.m. Sunday in downtown Los Angeles. On Tuesday, Los Angeles police released surveillance video of a man suspected in those attacks, which investigators said were carried out with a baseball bat.

All three victims in that case were attacked while they were sleeping, and the suspect went through their belongings before leaving the scene, police said. The victims were all hospitalized in critical condition with severe head trauma.

The suspect was described as white or Hispanic with dark bushy hair and wearing a blue hat, gray sweatshirt, black shorts and bright white tennis shoes. Police noted that the suspect, who may also be homeless, appeared slightly bow-legged and walked with a distinctive gait.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *