A two-alarm fire caused by an unattended candle damaged a Garden Grove apartment building Tuesday and left two people injured, authorities said.
Firefighters sent to the 13100 block of Cypress Street at 4:30 a.m. extinguished the flames in the two-story building in about 45 minutes, Garden Grove police reported.
A man and another person in the apartment where the blaze broke out sustained smoke inhalation and burns and were taken to a hospital, but their injuries were not considered life-threatening, fire Capt. Thanh Nguyen said.
The apartment did not have working smoke alarms, Nguyen said.
The six residents of the apartment were alerted to the blaze when the injured man was heard screaming, he said.
“Another occupant saw the fire and proceeded to evacuate everybody,” Nguyen said.
City officials red-tagged the apartment and yellow-tagged the neighboring units, meaning the residents could retrieve their belongings but cannot occupy their apartments, Nguyen said.
The blaze, which caused about $300,000 in damage to the structure and $75,000 in damage to contents, displaced 13 residents, Nguyen said.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: