The mother of an 18-year-old woman killed in a drive-by shooting in Santa Ana last week appealed Tuesday to the public for help in tracking down the assailant who left her daughter “to die on the street like an animal.”
Santa Ana police, meanwhile, released surveillance video of the drive-by attack that killed Victoria Barrios of Santa Ana and injured a 17-year-old boy who remains hospitalized.
Barrios was pronounced dead at the scene in the 500 block of East Pine Street, near Oak Street, just after midnight Friday. She had no gang ties and appears to have been an unintended target, according to Santa Ana police.
The portion of the video that was publicly released shows someone leaning out of the rear seat of a moving vehicle, then opening fire on the two victims and another male, who escaped harm.
“We just plead with anyone with information no matter how small … to please call,” Eva Barrios said. “I love my baby, and someone left her there to die on the street like an animal.”
Referring to the victim’s sister, Valerie, their mother said, “Now she’s an only child because of someone’s senseless act.”
Santa Ana police Chief David Valentin said anyone contributing helpful tips leading to an arrest could claim a reward up to $50,000.
Victoria Barrios was a “beautiful young lady full of life and spirit,” said her mother, who wore her daughter’s name plates from her two jobs “over my heart.”
She “always had an opinion she was not afraid to share,” her mother said, adding her daughter was often “singing, dancing and laughing” and had plans to work as a civil servant in law enforcement, such as a probation officer, or with troubled youths.
“She really wanted to help people,” Eva Barrios said.
It’s not known if the victim’s teenage companion was a target, Valentin said. Before the shooting, someone in the group of the killer shouted something that indicated the attack was gang-related, the chief said.
Anyone with information helpful to investigators was encouraged to call 714-245-8390.