Disgraced ex-film producer Harvey Weinstein — sentenced Wednesday in New York to 23 years behind bars for sexually assaulting two women — still faces charges in Los Angeles that could land him an even longer prison sentence.
New York State Supreme Court Justice James Burke handed Weinstein a 20-year term for committing a criminal sex act against Mimi Haley, a former production assistant, and a three-year term for raping Jessica Mann, an aspiring actress, and ordered that the terms be served consecutively.
In Los Angeles, 69-year-old Weinstein faces charges of rape, oral copulation, sexual penetration by force and sexual battery by restraint.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office declined to immediately comment on the New York sentence, but is expected to post a comment later Wednesday morning. When the Los Angeles case was filed, prosecutors said Weinstein could face up to 28 years in prison if convicted of all counts.
No date has been set for his arraignment in Los Angeles.
The seven-man, five-woman New York jury deliberated for about 22 hours — and at one point indicated that they might be deadlocked — before returning with the guilty verdicts for crimes committed against two of the six women who testified that Weinstein had assaulted them.
The defense argued repeatedly that all of the sex was consensual. Weinstein did not testify in his own defense. His attorney has said she will appeal the jury’s decision.
Lauren Young, one of the two women alleging assault in the Los Angeles case, also testified in Manhattan. Her account was challenged by another woman Young accused of helping trap her in a bathroom with Weinstein.
“That never happened,” Claudia Salinas told jurors.
Despite the conflicting testimony, one attorney said the New York conviction confirms that Weinstein used force, which could help support the West Coast case.
“If that’s admissible as proof, it’s a difficult fact to overcome,” New York attorney Paul DerOhannesian told The Los Angeles Times last month.