Jury deliberations got underway Wednesday in the penalty trial of an ex-minor league baseball player who fatally bashed his father, uncle and a bystander with a bat in Corona.

Brandon Willie Martin, 27, was convicted of killing 64-year-old Michael Martin, along with the elder man’s brother-in-law, 51-year-old Ricky Lee Anderson of Corona, and 62-year-old Barry Swanson of Riverside, on the evening of Sept. 17, 2015.

The prosecution and defense completed their closing statements Tuesday in the weeklong penalty phase of the trial, and Riverside County Superior Court Judge Bernard Schwartz directed jurors to return to the Riverside Hall of Justice Wednesday morning to begin weighing testimony to determine what punishment to recommend.

The District Attorney’s Office is seeking the death penalty.

Martin was convicted two weeks ago of three counts of first-degree murder, and jurors found true a special circumstance allegation of taking multiple lives in the same crime. Jurors also convicted him of one count each of auto theft, evading arrest, obstructing a peace officer and injuring a police canine.

According to the prosecution, the defendant had been experiencing psychiatric issues and was admitted to the county Department of Mental Health’s emergency treatment facility on County Farm Road during the night of Sept. 15, 2015, for an evaluation. His admission came after he’d made threats against his disabled father.

Deputy District Attorney Kevin Beecham said the younger Martin was contending with drug addiction problems, and he was frequently hostile toward his parents, who were preparing to permanently evict him from their home.

The defendant was released from the treatment center after two days and went straight to his family’s residence in the 1000 block of Winthrop Drive, arriving shortly after 6 p.m.

The elder Martin was at the property with Anderson and Swanson, an ADT alarm company technician who was there for an installation consultation, stemming directly from concerns about safety following the defendant’s threats.

Brandon Martin grabbed a baseball bat inside the house and went on a rampage, pummeling all three men. Michael Martin and Swanson died at the scene, but Anderson lingered in a coma for two days before dying from his injuries.

After the attack, the defendant stole Swanson’s Ford Raptor pickup and hid out overnight.

According to Corona police Sgt. Brent Nelson, an off-duty officer spotted the truck in the area of Lincoln and Mountain avenues early the next morning and attempted to stop it, but Martin fled onto Derby Street, dodging several patrol vehicles whose officers tried to disable the Ford using intervention maneuvers.

The defendant bailed out of the truck at the intersection of Darby and Buena Vista Avenue, near Foothill Elementary School, and darted into a home, where a woman was taking a shower. Martin tried to escape by leaping from a second-story window but encountered a K-9 officer and his dog, culminating in a brief struggle before he was forcibly taken into custody, according to Nelson.

The defendant, who had no prior convictions, graduated from Santiago High School in 2011 and was selected in the first round of that year’s Major League Baseball draft by the Tampa Bay Rays, the 38th overall selection. Martin played three seasons for the Rays’ farm team and was let go on March 26, 2015.

He’s being held without bail at the Robert Presley Jail.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.