Charges were dismissed Thursday against a man who allegedly set a four-alarm fire that caused extensive damage to the historic San Gabriel Mission last summer, but a spokesman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said the case will be re-filed.

A “necessary witness was unavailable within the stipulated time” for a hearing to begin to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to require John David Corey to stand trial, according to Ricardo Santiago of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

The 57-year-old defendant — also known as “Joker” — was charged May 4 with two felony counts of arson of an inhabited structure and one count each of arson during a state of emergency, first-degree residential burglary, and possession of flammable material in connection with the July 11, 2020, fire.

Prosecutors allege Corey broke into the mission and started the blaze, which spread to the roof and along the length of the church.

The fire, which was reported at 4:24 a.m., took more than two hours to knock down.

Portions of the roof fell on firefighters, who had to evacuate and initiate a defensive fire attack, according to Capt. Antonio Negrete of the San Gabriel Fire Department. Crews managed to stop the blaze before it reached the altar, museum and the adjacent rectory.

There were no civilian injuries, though one San Gabriel firefighter sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Corey — described as being from the San Gabriel Valley region — was initially arrested and sentenced to three years for a “separate arson case” in San Gabriel that occurred after the fire at the mission, according to the San Gabriel Fire Department.

“It was during this separate incident that investigators deemed Mr. Corey a person of interest in the Mission San Gabriel case,” according to a statement issued by the fire department shortly after the case was filed. “After a thorough investigation, investigators determined that Corey was responsible for the fire at the Mission San Gabriel.”

Nearly 50% of the on-duty fire resources of the West San Gabriel Valley were called to battle the mission fire as a result of automatic aid agreements within the region, with more than 85 firefighters, 12 engine companies, five truck companies, four rescue ambulances and five battalion chiefs on hand.

The ensuing investigation was led by the Verdugo Fire Investigation Task Force and included assistance from the San Gabriel Police Department, along with the San Gabriel, San Marino, Glendale, Monterey Park and Monrovia fire departments, the Los Angeles Fire Department and its arson K9 team, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive and the FBI.

Los Angeles Archbishop Jose H. Gomez woke up before dawn to hear the news that the mission, founded by Junipero Serra in 1771, was burning. He noted then that the roof had been destroyed and there was substantial damage to the old church.

“By God’s grace and the efforts of more than 10 fire engine companies, the fire was stopped at the steps of the altar. We are so grateful for the outpouring of support from our Mission families both near and far,” the Rev. John Molyneux wrote last summer on the mission’s website.

A fundraising campaign was subsequently launched to repair the damage, with work beginning first on the roof, which is targeted to be ready by spring 2022, according to the mission’s website.

“The loss to the mission was in the millions of dollars, but the loss to the community is immeasurable,” District Attorney George Gascón said in a written statement May 4 announcing the charges.

It was not immediately clear when prosecutors plan to re-file the case.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *