A series of threatening messages indicating there were would be acts of violence committed at Corona High School were determined to be fake, following an investigation by police, authorities said Thursday.

The Corona Police Department posted a statement from Corona High School Principal Ben Sanchez stating that the messages, which were only described as threatening in nature, had been circulated Wednesday night and immediately prompted inquiries.

“We actively worked with the police department and identified the sources of the threats,” Sanchez said. “These threats have been thoroughly investigated by the police and determined not to be credible. I would like to assure you that the campus is safe.”

Classes were held on schedule Thursday.

On Wednesday, Corona-Norco Unified School District Superintendent Sam Buenrostro issued a statement saying the recent shooting at a high school in Oxford, Michigan, which killed four and wounded seven youths, would likely “trigger an increase in threats targeting schools.”

“We want to reassure our community that any threat to CNUSD schools, real or fake, is taken seriously and is investigated to the full extent,” the superintendent said. “We would like to take this opportunity to remind you we remain committed to protecting the safety of our students and staff, and we would like to ask our parents to please speak with your teens about the severity of making fake threats.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.