Prosecutors Thursday declined to file charges against a man suspected of killing a motorcyclist in a collision at a Menifee intersection while intoxicated, returning the case to police for additional investigation.

Jose Antonio Celedon, 41, was arrested Tuesday and booked into the Byrd Detention Center in Murrieta on suspicion of second-degree murder, felony DUI and DUI resulting in great bodily injury for the death of 32-year-old Luis Christian Silva of Winchester.

The case was submitted to the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office based on the Menifee Police Department’s investigation. However, prosecutors decided that details were insufficient to justify a criminal complaint.

“It has been sent back to the agency for further investigation,” D.A.’s office spokesman John Hall told City News Service.

Menifee police Capt. Dave Gutierrez told City News Service that prosecutors want to see the “crash report, postmortem” and other material before pursuing the matter further.

“This is typical for fatal traffic collisions that result in an on-scene arrest,” he said. “Some of these investigations can take a couple months to finalize. The driver will have his day in court.”

With no charges filed against him, Celedon, who has been held on $1 million bail, was slated to be released from custody Thursday afternoon.

According to Menifee police Sgt. Matthew Bloch, about 5:15 a.m. Tuesday, Silva was riding his motorcycle westbound on Bundy Canyon Road at an unknown speed, approaching Cottonwood Canyon Road, when Celedon reached the intersection at the wheel of a sedan.

Bloch said the suspect was headed south on Cottonwood Canyon and allegedly initiated a left turn onto Bundy Canyon — directly in front of Silva, who had the right of way.

“The motorcyclist was unable to stop prior to colliding with the vehicle,” the sergeant said. “The victim was ejected from his motorcycle as a result of this collision.”

Celedon stopped and did not attempt to flee, Bloch said.

Paramedics reached the location within a few minutes and pronounced Silva dead at the scene.

Patrol officers questioned Celedon and determined that he was allegedly inebriated, according to Bloch.

The suspect was taken into custody without incident.

Background information on him was unavailable.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.