A 49-year-old shooting suspect in Compton was taken into custody Thursday after he allegedly opened fire at responding deputies and barricaded himself in his apartment, which caught fire while he was inside.

Deputies were sent to the 100 block of Acacia Avenue about 7:30 a.m. on an assault with a deadly weapon call, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department reported.

A person who had been wounded was taken to a hospital in unknown condition, the sheriff’s department reported.

Meanwhile, deputies responding to the scene came under fire, but they were not wounded, the sheriff’s department reported.

Deputy Miguel Meza told reporters at the scene that the suspect — later identified as Alrick Billini Mcneese of Compton — was armed with a shotgun, which he fired when deputies knocked on the door. The shotgun blast did not pass through the door, and no deputies were injured, he said.

A containment of the area was established, residents in the apartment and nearby buildings were evacuated, and a SWAT team from the sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau was sent to the scene.

About 8:15 a.m., a fire was reported in the building.

Meza told reporters the fire was in Mcneese’s apartment, and the suspect apparently was responsible for igniting the flames. A natural gas leak was reported in the building, Meza said.

The wounded person — either a friend or a roommate of Mcneese’s — told deputies a firearm was accidentally discharged, Meza said.

“The victim said there was some sort of accidental discharge inside the location, which is when the deputies responded to the gunshot victim call,” Meza told Fox11.

The circumstances of the shooting remained under investigation.

Mcneese surrendered about 8:45 a.m., the sheriff’s department reported. He was booked into the LASD Compton Station jail and was being held on $1 million bail.

“After a couple hours and many verbal attempts by LASD deputies and SEB Tactical Team, the incident has concluded peacefully,” a sheriff’s department statement said.

About an hour after Mcneese surrendered, the sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau tweeted: “LASD SEB SWAT operation for an armed, barricaded assault with a deadly weapon suspect in Compton has concluded. Suspect in custody. Fire Department on scene after putting out a fire started by suspect. … Neighborhood safe.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.