Authorities Friday were offering a $20,000 reward, hoping it will help generate clues to solve the killings of two young men who were gunned down during a street takeover event in Compton last year.
Javier Carachure Menchaca, 19, and Juan Antonio Orozco, 22, were shot to death about 1 a.m. on Nov. 14, 2021, near the 1900 block of North Bullis Road, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department reported.
The pair were seated in their parked vehicle when they were shot, and both died at the scene of multiple wounds, the sheriff’s department reported.
The reward, which was offered by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, was announced at a Friday morning news conference at the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau.
Sheriff’s Sgt. Michael Austin said hundreds of people had gathered for the street takeover event.
“It was on Bullis Road between the Walmart and a condominium complex,” Austin said. “The video we have of the area is of very poor quality, and has not assisted investigators in any way. We had some things that we were following up on that have gotten us nowhere on this case.
“We’re now asking for the public’s help,” Austin said. “We know there (were) two (to) three hundred witnesses there — none of them have come forward at this point.”
Austin said the shooting occurred as several deputies arrived at the site to break up the gathering.
He declined to disclose information on what type of weapons were used in the shooting, or on what evidence may have been gathered by detectives.
“We have no suspect information at this time — none whatsoever,” Austin said. “We’ve pursued every angle we could think of. We have no reason to believe either victim in this case was a member of a gang or had any affiliation with any gangs.”
Austin said there were no reports of other shootings in the area that could be related to the fatal attack, and a motive for the crime was not known.
Anyone with information on the case was urged to call the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500, or Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS.