Electrical failure of a lithium-ion battery was determined to have caused a two-alarm house fire in unincorporated Tustin Sunday.

Thick black smoke was spewing from the two-story house in video shot while firefighters worked to put out the blaze, which was reported at 4:48 p.m. in the 18700 block of Pinto Lane, according to the Orange County Fire Authority.

A family safely evacuated the home and the Red Cross was summoned to the scene to help arrange accommodations, fire officials said.

The elevated status of the fire meant about 50 firefighters worked to put out the flames in 52 minutes, officials said.

Safety information on lituium-ion batteries is available at OCFA.org.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *