U.S. Forest Service crews have begun assessing the severity of the damage caused by the Apple Fire in the San Bernardino National Forest, which has charred 33,424 acres and was 60% contained Wednesday.

The agency began its post-fire assessment on Monday, which includes looking into the variety of environmental impacts caused by the fire, including watershed damage that could spur dangerous flood conditions during the Southern California wet season, officials said.

The blaze burned through federal, state and private lands, according to Cathleen Thompson of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and several governmental agencies will have to respond to conduct their own post-fire assessments as the forest service is doing in the national forest.

The Apple Fire also burned through the Morongo Band of Mission Indians reservation, and the damage to the reservation will be assessed by the U.S. Department of Interior.

“Tribal lands are considered federal land as they are managed jointly by the tribes and the Bureau of Indian Affairs,” Thompson said.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs falls under the U.S. Department of Interior.

Full containment of the fire is expected Sunday or Monday.

Crews on Wednesday also continued fortifying control lines as fire operations were set to transition from 24-hour shifts to day shifts.

The efforts were also set to transition to rehabilitation of the fire zone, officials noted in a statement.

“Firefighters will remove debris and dirt from culverts along dirt roads. In areas near roads and trails, handlines will be covered with vegetation to obscure visible impacts,” officials said.

“Dozer lines will be repaired to ensure erosion control and then covered with vegetation. In places cleared of plants and used as safety zones for firefighters, crews will conceal the area with the discarded shrubs and limbs. Flagging and signage from suppression efforts will also be removed.”

Officials still expected wind gusts of up to 25 mph and increasing temperatures through the weekend, but said fire lines passed the test of winds earlier in the week.

The 1,446 fire personnel who remained on scene were being aided by two Cal Fire air tankers and 17 water-dropping helicopters dropping water to cool hot spots.

The American Red Cross announced Tuesday afternoon that all relief operations within the fire zone, including maintenance of services at a temporary evacuation center that had been established at Beaumont High School, were finished because all evacuation orders have been lifted.

The nonprofit organization said it helped 183 people affected by the Apple Fire, served over 2,196 meals and snacks, and provided more than 300 overnight hotel stays for evacuees.

The San Gorgonio Wilderness area — where 7,249 acres have burned due to the Apple Fire — remains closed to the public.

Since sparking July 31, the flames destroyed four homes and eight outbuildings, and resulted in injuries to three firefighters. An estimated 2,600 residences and 7,800 people were evacuated at the height of the blaze.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *