The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors. Photo by John Schreiber.
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors. Photo by John Schreiber.

The Board of Supervisors Tuesday offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to whoever fatally shot a 19-year-old student in Compton two days before Christmas.

Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, who recommended the reward, said Vicente Castillo was driving home with a friend from a workout at a 24-hour gym around 1:20 a.m. Dec. 23 when he spotted a black sedan that he thought belonged to a friend.

Castillo followed the car, which braked to a quick stop near the intersection of White Avenue and Rose Street. The driver got out and shot Castillo once in the chest.

Castillo was pronounced dead at St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood about an hour later.

“Detectives from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau believe there are witnesses to the shooting and the suspect’s flight,” Ridley-Thomas said.

Castillo, who grew up in Compton, was a full-time student at Cal State Long Beach and had been told he would get a full scholarship to play on a developmental team for the Los Angeles Galaxy soccer team in Barcelona, Spain, according to Ridley-Thomas.

Anyone with more information on the shooting was asked to call sheriff’s homicide Detectives Michael Valento and John Duncan at (323) 890-5500 or (888) 412-7463, or Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS (8477).

City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.