In an account published on Buzzfeed.com this weekend, Dreyfuss describes the alleged 2008 incident, when Spacey was directing Richard Dreyfuss in a play at the Old Vic in London.
Harry Dreyfuss says he was inspired by actor Anthony Rapp, who came forward last week to say Spacey made a sexual advance at him when Rapp was 14 and Spacey 26.
“It happened one night when the three of us were alone in Kevin’s apartment rehearsing my father’s lines,” wrote Harry Dreyfuss. “My father didn’t see, and I didn’t tell him about the incident for many years. Instead, I spent the next nine years telling people the story at parties for laughs.”
“Kevin Spacey is a sexual predator. But I still never thought talking about it seriously was ever an option,” Harry Dreyfuss added.
Bryan Freedman, a lawyer representing Spacey, was quoted by Buzzfeed as denying Dreyfuss’ account.
Harry Dreyfuss said that during the script-reading session at Spacey’s London apartment, Spacey repeatedly placed his hand on Dreyfuss’ thigh while his father was focused on the script.
“Over the course of about 20 seconds … Kevin crawled his hand from my thigh over toward my crotch. My mind went blank. Suddenly, he had completed his journey and now he had all of me in his hand. I stopped reading the script and my eyes went wide,” Harry Dreyfuss wrote.
“I don’t know how long we sat there like that. It could have been as little as 20 seconds, or it could have been five minutes. … What I do remember is that, other than being a shy kid who obviously admired Kevin Spacey a lot, I never once gave him a signal that I would want to be with him in that way.”
Harry Dreyfuss added that he hopes his story “can serve as inspiration to others who may have felt that they couldn’t or shouldn’t speak.”
Richard Dreyfuss confirmed to Buzzfeed that he was present for the night in question. He also tweeted that he loves his son. “And I am so incredibly proud of him right now.”
The Harry Dreyfuss account wasn’t the only bit of bad news to hit Spacey in recent days.
The studio behind the hit series “House of Cards” said it is suspending Kevin Spacey while it investigates “serious allegations” concerning his behavior on set.
The announcement by Media Rights Capital late Friday night did not detail the allegations. It came shortly after Netflix said in a separate statement that it would not be involved with any further production of “House of Cards” if the show included its star, Spacey.
Production of the show’s sixth season was suspended earlier last week. Variety reports that “House of Cards” producers are considering killing off Frank Underwood, Spacey’s character.
Netflix has also announced it would “not be moving forward with the release of the film “Gore,” a Gore Vidal biopic in postproduction. It starred Spacey, who was also producing it.
—City News Service
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: