Redmond O’Neal was sued Thursday by a man who alleges the son of actor Ryan O’Neal and the late Farrah Fawcett beat him in an unprovoked attack while insulting him for being gay.

“On May 2nd, 2018, Redmond O’Neal targeted me, called me a faggot and beat me with a beer bottle,” Ken Fox said during a news conference with his attorney, Gloria Allred.

Fox said he was walking in the Palms area, returning home from a trip to a laudromat, when he saw O’Neal walking toward him.

“Mr. O’Neal looked at me and said, `What are you looking at, faggot?’ and then viciously assaulted me,” he said.

Fox said when he fell to the ground after being struck with a bottle, O’Neal “stood over me, taunting me, throwing punches and swinging that beer bottle inches from my face.”

“I have spent the last four months recovering from what Redmond O’Neal did to me,” he said. “I am speaking out today because I need to make sure this man never injures or hurts another defenseless `faggot’ ever again.”

A representative for O’Neal, 33, could not be immediately reached. O’Neal was arrested May 8 for allegedly robbing a Venice 7-Eleven store and threatening a store clerk with a knife. O’Neal was later charged with carrying out a series of unprovoked attacks on five men, two of whom were stabbed, from May 2-8.

He was ordered by a judge to undergo a mental health evaluation, putting his criminal case temporarily on hold.

Allred said the lawsuit she filed on behalf of Fox alleges assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligence.

“Ken had never met, communicated with or ever hear of Redmond O’Neal prior to encountering him on the day of this incident,” she said.

Allred said Fox is openly gay, and she contends O’Neal’s attack was motivated by Fox’s sexual orientation.

“Any violent attack is serious, but an attack which appears to be motivated by the sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation of the victim is of particular concern,” she said.

O’Neal has had a series of brushes with the law.

In 2015, he was sentenced to three years in prison for violating his probation in a case in which he pleaded no contest in 2011 to one count each of possession of a firearm by a felon and heroin possession.

O’Neal was released in October 2012 from a live-in drug rehabilitation program where he had spent a year.

At the time, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Keith Schwartz instructed O’Neal to remain on electronic monitoring for 90 days, undergo random drug testing and continue to see medical professionals as part of an “intensive outpatient” program, according to one of his attorneys, Richard Pintal.

O’Neal admitted in September 2011 that he violated his probation by using drugs while in a live-in drug rehabilitation program that he eventually completed. He had been sent to the facility after pleading no contest in August 2011 to one count each of heroin possession and possession of a firearm by a felon — charges that stemmed from a traffic stop in Santa Monica.

O’Neal was sentenced in 2011 to spend a year in the drug program and to serve five years on probation.

He was also on probation at the time for a felony drug count stemming from his April 2009 arrest in a county jail parking lot in Castaic.

In 2010, he graduated from a drug court program for a pair of drug possession cases — one involving possession of heroin and methamphetamine and the other involving possession of methamphetamine.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.