Tim Conway, who underwent brain surgery in September, has been moved seven times in 12 weeks between rehabilitation centers and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, according to papers filed this week by the entertainer’s court-appointed attorney.
Conway is currently being cared for at Windsor Terrace Healthcare Center in Van Nuys, according to Michael Harris’ Tuesday court filing.
Conway remains at the center of a dispute between his wife, Charlene, and her stepdaughter over whether he needs to be placed under a conservatorship. Kelly Conway maintains her father suffers from dementia. The actor-comedian turns 85 on Saturday.
Charlene Conway maintains that her husband does not need the protection of a conservatorship, but that if a judge is inclined to find to the contrary, she should serve the role and not her stepdaughter. Trial is scheduled for Friday before Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Robert Wada on whether a permanent conservatorhip should be established and, if so, who should be appointed.
On Sept. 14, Wada rejected Kelly Conway’s petition for a temporary conservatorship, finding that her concerns about her stepmother’s medical decisions regarding her father were moot at the time because he was hospitalized Sept. 3 and underwent brain surgery.
After brain surgery, Conway was released to the Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab facility in Santa Monica on Oct. 15, but has been back and forth since then to the hospital and Windsor Terrace, according to Harris’ court papers.
“Kelly Conway contends that Windsor Terrace made the mistakes that caused (her father) to require emergency removal to Cedars for surgery and that returning him to Windsor Terrace is wrong…,” Harris states in his court papers.
He said Kelly Conway wants her father returned to the Villas at Topanga Terrace care facility in West Hills, where she believed he was comfortable and getting good care. But Harris said he visited Windsor Terrace and came to a different conclusion about the facility than did Kelly Conway.
“The facility is apparently well-staffed and properly operated with clean and appropriate surroundings,” Harris wrote.
Conway was bed-ridden and unable or unwilling to talk, but his complexion was good and “his eyes were expressive,” Harris stated in his court papers. “In any event, this (court) proceeding involves at its core two women, both of whom are intent on doing what each believes is best for the interests of Mr. Conway.”
Harris recommends that regardless of the outcome of the legal battle, both women should be given regular visits with Conway and a say in his care and where he lives. He said he is hopeful the two sides can resolve their differences.
Conway was a performer on “The Steve Allen Plymouth Hour” in the 1950s before landing the role of Ensign Parker on the 1960s comedy series “McHale’s Navy.” In the 1970s, he became a cast member on “The Carol Burnett Show.” He also starred as the title character in the “Dorf” comedy films and voiced the character of Barnacle Boy in the animated series “SpongeBob SquarePants.”
In addition to Kelly, Conway and his first wife Mary Anne Dalton had five other children. They divorced in 1978.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: