A judge is expected Monday to hear an emergency motion filed by Robert Durst’s attorneys asking for his murder trial to be postponed indefinitely due to the 78-year-old real estate scion’s “life-threatening health issues” and for the defendant to be released on a “high bail amount.”

The hearing is scheduled for an hour before jurors in Durst’s trial are set to return to court following a delay of more than a year as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, which forced court officials to close the county’s courthouses to all but time-sensitive, essential matters.

Jurors heard opening statements and two days of testimony about the December 2000 shooting death of Durst’s longtime friend, Susan Berman, at her home in the Benedict Canyon area of Los Angeles, before the case was put on hold in mid-March of last year.

In a motion filed last Thursday seeking an indefinite delay in the trial’s resumption, Durst’s attorneys wrote, “Specifically, Mr. Durst has a myriad of life-threatening health issues, including bladder cancer (which is not being treated) … The medical evidence compels the conclusion that Mr. Durst’s medical condition is serious and continues to worsen, and that he faces life-threatening complications if forced to continue with the current trial. Accordingly, the medical evidence compels continuance of the trial indefinitely.”

The defense attorneys — who have repeatedly asked for a mistrial — wrote in the motion that Durst is incarcerated with “extremely limited medical care.”

“Here, while the charge at issue is serious, the requested conditions of GPS monitoring, release to a medical facility with security, and a high bail amount, will ensure that Mr. Durst is not a risk of flight and he is not a danger to the community,” the attorneys wrote, adding that Durst would “pay for and provide his own security.”

Prosecutors are expected to respond to the defense’s request at the court hearing, just before jurors are due back in court for a one- to two-day orientation.

Superior Court Judge Mark Windham said at an earlier hearing that he will allow attorneys to give abbreviated opening statements anew due to the lengthy disruption of the trial, which has been moved from the Airport Courthouse in Los Angeles to a larger courtroom at the nearby courthouse in Inglewood because of concerns about social distancing.

In opening statements last year, Deputy District Attorney John Lewin alleged that Durst killed Berman after she told him she was going to talk to investigators looking into the still-unsolved 1982 disappearance of his first wife, Kathie.

Durst was acquitted of murder in Texas after testifying that he killed his neighbor, Morris Black, in self-defense in September 2001. Los Angeles County prosecutors allege that Durst was in Galveston, Texas, while posing as a mute woman after authorities launched a new investigation into what had happened to Kathie Durst.

In his opening statement last year, the defendant’s lead attorney, Dick DeGuerin, told jurors that Durst panicked after finding Berman’s body in her home while coming to visit her for the holidays. Durst wrote an anonymous “cadaver note” that was subsequently mailed to Beverly Hills police so her body would be found, Durst’s lead attorney said, noting that Durst would testify in his own defense.

Durst’s attorneys have argued that evidence about what happened to Black in Galveston would inflame the jury and should not be allowed at his trial. The judge has repeatedly denied the defense’s motions for a mistrial.

At a hearing earlier this year, the judge said evidence of Black’s dismemberment and Kathie Durst’s disappearance could be introduced at trial to support a special circumstance allegation that Berman was killed because she was a witness, rather than to prove Berman’s murder.

The judge said the prosecution could also use that evidence from Galveston to rebut the claim that Durst’s wife had merely disappeared rather than been killed.

Durst was profiled in a six-part HBO television series “The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst,” in which the defendant was later recorded saying, “There it is, you’re caught” and “killed them all, of course.”

Durst has been behind bars since March 14, 2015, when he was taken into custody in a New Orleans hotel room hours before the airing of the final episode of the HBO series, which examined Kathie’s disappearance and the killings of Berman and Black.

Durst has been long estranged from his real estate-rich family, which is known for ownership of a series of New York City skyscrapers — including an investment in the World Trade Center. He split with the family when his younger brother was placed in charge of the family business, leading to a drawn-out legal battle, and ultimately reached a settlement under which they reportedly paid him $60 million to $65 million.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.