In response to the extreme heat, the city of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks will be extending cooling center hours at some locations Friday and Saturday.
The temperature in downtown Los Angeles reached 96 degrees Friday afternoon, tying the record high for this date set in 1954, according to the National Weather Service, which has issued an excessive heat warning for the region through Saturday at 9 p.m.
The following cooling center facilities will have extended hours, operating until 10 p.m. Friday evening and and Saturday:
- Lanark Recreation Center, 21816 Lanark St., Canoga Park, (818) 883-1503.
- Lakeview Terrace Recreation Center, 11075 Foothill Blvd., Lake View Terrace, (818) 899-8087.
- North Hollywood Recreation Center, 11430 Chandler Blvd., (818) 763-7651.
- Mid Valley Senior Center at Sepulveda Recreation Center, 8801 Kester Ave., Panorama City, (818) 893-3700.
- Sherman Oaks/East Valley Adult Center, 5060 Van Nuys Blvd., Sherman Oaks, (818) 386-9674.
- Sunland Park Senior Center, 8640 Fenwick St., (818) 353-9571.
- Robert M. Wilkinson Multipurpose Center, 8956 Vanalden Avenue, Northridge, (818) 756-7741.
- Algin Sutton Recreation Center, 8800 S. Hoover St., Los Angeles, (323) 753-5808.
- Green Meadows Recreation Center, 431 E. 89th St., Los Angeles, (323) 565-4242.
- Mount Carmel Recreation Center, 830 W. 90th St., Los Angeles, (323) 789-2756.
- And Slauson Multipurpose Center, 5306 Compton Ave., Los Angeles, (323) 233-1174.