Los Angeles city officials celebrated Monday the completion — two months ahead of schedule — of a water pipeline replacement project in Benedict Canyon.
Traffic had been blocked most days since May 1 on the heavily traveled key route linking Beverly Hills to the San Fernando Valley.
“We are very pleased that this challenging project went smoothly and was completed sooner than anticipated,” Los Angeles Department of Water and Power General Manager David H. Wright said. “It is a tribute to the dedication and professionalism of everyone involved, but it is also due to the patience and understanding demonstrated by local residents, commuters and community leaders during the construction period. This is yet another major step in improving the water system throughout the LADWP service area by replacing aging infrastructure.”
Motorists had been warned that Benedict Canyon Boulevard would be blocked off south of Mulholland Drive between the hours of 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on some Saturdays, until Nov. 30.
But the project was completed early, according to City Councilman Paul Koretz and officials from the LADWP. About one mile of an almost-60-year-old water main along Benedict Canyon Boulevard was replaced with a new steel pipe.
Officials announced the road re-opening during a news conference at the fire station at the corner of Mulholland Drive at Benedict Canyon Boulevard.
“I am very proud of the critical infrastructure project completed by LADWP personnel, in coordination and collaboration with my office, LADOT and multiple city agencies,” Koretz said.