[symple_googlemap title=”” location=”9401 Westminster Ave., Garden Grove, CA” height=”300″ zoom=”13″]
A Bolsa Grande High School freshman was arrested Thursday on suspicion of leaving two threatening notes on campus, including one that forced an evacuation earlier this week, and investigators were working to determine if he was involved in this weekend’s suspicious blaze at the school, authorities said.
As classes finished up for the day Wednesday, a second note was found on campus that referred to the Sunday blaze and a previous bomb threat, according to Garden Grove police Lt. Ben Stauffer. The second note threatened a shooting at the school, Stauffer said.
School officials recognized the writing on the notes, leading to the arrest of the teen, whose name was not released.
Police have gathered evidence at the boy’s home.
“Everyone at (Garden Grove Unified School District) is extremely proud of the teamwork and patience that was demonstrated this week by the entire Bolsa Grande High School family,” district Superintendent Gabriela Mafi said. “Teachers, staff and students supported one another and remained calm during a highly stressful time and are a model for everyone in the district. We are also thankful for our wonderful, collaborative relationships with the Garden Grove Police Department and the Garden Grove Fire Department; we could not have gotten through this without their continual support.”
Sunday’s blaze damaged eight classrooms.
Police were summoned to the school about 1:45 p.m. Tuesday when a student reported finding the note indicating there was a bomb on campus, according to Stauffer.
After ushering 2,075 students from campus so their parents or guardians could pick them up, police scoured the campus and declared it clear of any explosive devices about 3:30 p.m., Stauffer said. Students and educators were allowed back on campus then to retrieve anything left behind.
Eight classrooms were damaged on the campus at 9401 Westminster Ave. A few hundred students who attend classes in the fire-scarred wing were being accommodated in makeshift classrooms in the cafeteria, library and the gym.
The students will meet in those areas until winter break. When students return to school in January, they will use portable classrooms until the fire- damaged wing is restored.
— City News Service
