Leobardo Villadares. Photo courtesy of the Orange County Sheriff's Department
Leobardo Villadares. Photo courtesy of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department

A 45-year-old man was convicted Tuesday of gunning down another man outside a Stanton bar nearly two years ago.

Leobardo Villadares of Anaheim was convicted of first-degree murder in the shooting of 48-year-old Francisco Salgado Torres of Anaheim. Jurors, who deliberated for about a day, also found true a sentencing enhancement for the use of a firearm in the killing.

Villadares, who is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 25, could face up to 50 years to life in prison.

The defendant and victim got into an altercation in front of the Oasis Bar, 10448 Knott Ave. in Stanton, early Sept. 15, 2013, before shots rang out, according to authorities.

A waitress in the bar complained to the defendant, who was a regular, that Torres had been bothering her, according to Senior Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Herrera. The defendant said he would talk to the victim outside the bar, Herrera said.

“There’s video of him (in the bar) approaching her, grabbing her arm,” Herrera said.

Villadares followed Torres, who had a blood-alcohol level of .20, out of the bar into the parking lot and the two got into an argument before Torres shoved the defendant, Herrera said. That prompted Villadares to shoot Torres in the face and chest, Herrera said.

Villadares turned himself in five days later, according to the prosecutor.

Villadares’ attorney argued his client acted in self-defense, Herrera said.

— City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.