
An employee of El Modena High School barricaded himself inside the school Sunday and finally surrendered to police after almost 10 hours.
The drama at the school, located at 3920 E. Spring St., began at 11 a.m. when the man’s brother — who was inside the school with him — called Orange police, Orange Sgt. Jen Amat told City News Service.
The unidentified man surrendered to police about 8:45 p.m., Amat said.
“Our negotiators (talked) to him for several hours and finally convinced him to give himself up peacefully,” Amat said.
It’s unclear why the man went into the school and began the barricade, Amat said.
There were media reports that the man also had a gun, but Amat said that has not yet been confirmed.
The man’s brother left earlier in the day, she said.
Booking charges are pending until police sort out what happened and why, she said.
As of 10 p.m. Sunday, school officials posted a message to El Modena families:
Good Evening Vanguard Families,
Due to police activity on the El Modena campus, school MAY be closed tomorrow, Monday, April 24th.
Please check your email for updates as we will send out additional information when it becomes available.
Thank you,
Dr. Saxton
Principal
El Modena High School
There was no word from officials as to the suspect’s identity or position with the school.
–City News Service and staff
