A fire in a northeast Riverside home Friday caused significant damage, displacing the five occupants, one of whom suffered minor injuries after trying to re-enter the burning residence.
The blaze was reported just after noon at a single-story house in the 2500 block of Lime Street, near Holding Street, according to the Riverside Fire Department.
Battalion Chief Bruce Vanderhorst said three engine crews and a truck company, numbering 17 personnel, were sent to the location and encountered flames in the rear two bedrooms.
“All occupants were able to evacuate prior to our arrival, but one resident had attempted to go back into the house to retrieve family possessions … and had breathed in smoke,” Vanderhorst said.
The victim, whose name was not disclosed, was treated by paramedics at the scene but declined to go to a hospital, according to Vanderhorst.
Crews gained the upper hand on the fire about 25 minutes later, fully containing it, Vanderhorst said.
“The possible cause of the fire was a space heater in the room of origin,” Vanderhorst said.
Damage to the property was estimated to be $150,000.
The residents decline Red Cross services, stating they would arrange for temporary lodging with relatives in the area, according to Vanderhorst.