A fire ignited by a dropped cigarette damaged several rooms in a Riverside home Friday, but the owner escaped uninjured.

The blaze was reported about 12:20 a.m. at a house in the 4200 block of Cover Street, near Brockton Avenue, according to the Riverside Fire Department.

Battalion Chief Todd Gooch said three engine crews and a truck company were sent to the location and encountered flames raging in the master bedroom. The home’s lone occupant was outside the structure when personnel arrived.

Firefighters contained the blaze within 10 minutes and completely knocked it down about 12:40 a.m., Gooch said.

“The fire caused extensive damage to the house,” he said. “It originated in the master bedroom and was caused by an unattended cigarette.”

The estimated property loss from the fire was estimated to be $140,000, according to Gooch.

The displaced resident apparently did not seek assistance from the Red Cross in finding temporary lodging.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.