Despite a continuing chance of rain, evacuations were lifted Monday for about 120 homes in the Santa Clarita area and 180 more in Duarte.
The Santa Clarita evacuation affected homes near the site of the Sand Fire, which burned more than 38,000 acres last July. The evacuation order was lifted effective at 10 a.m., according to the sheriff’s Santa Clarita Station. Residents were advised that they would have to provide valid identification to be allowed back into the area.
The Duarte evacuation affected homes near the site of last June’s 4,000- acre Fish Fire, but it was lifted at 2 p.m., according to the city of Duarte. Affected Duarte residents will also have to show identification to be allowed home.
The evacuation notices for both areas had been issued in advance of the intense rainstorm that began before dawn Sunday.
Duarte ordered the homes in the Fish Fire impact area evacuated by Sunday morning. An evacuation center was set up at the Duarte Community Center at 1600 Huntington Drive.
Those who refused to evacuate — as they are entitled to do under California law — were required to sign a refusal to evacuate form acknowledging they were aware of the risks and assuming all liability for their decision, city officials said.
Clean-up operations continued on Mel Canyon Road between Brookridge and Opal Canyon roads, but city officials said mud and debris flows were less than those from Friday’s storm.
The National Weather Service has the Los Angeles area under a Flash Flood Watch through 6 p.m. indicating flooding is possible but not imminent.
—City News Service