Story updated at 11:21 a.m., Nov. 13, 2014
Arraignment was postponed Thursday for a suspected Mongols motorcycle gang member accused of fatally shooting a Pomona police SWAT officer who was helping to serve a warrant at a home in San Gabriel.
David Martinez, 36, is charged with capital murder for the Oct. 28 shooting of 45-year-old Officer Shaun Diamond, who died the following day. Martinez is jailed without bail. His arraignment was rescheduled for Dec. 3.
The murder charge against Martinez includes a special circumstance allegation of murder of a police officer. The criminal complaint also includes gun and gang allegations. Prosecutors have not yet decided whether to seek the death penalty.
Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said Diamond was helping to open the outer door of a home in the 100 block of San Marino Avenue as part of a multi-agency operation targeting the Mongols gang when an interior door of the home was opened and a single shotgun blast rang out.
Diamond was shot in the back of the head. Martinez was taken into custody at the scene.
Sheriff’s officials said Martinez has a criminal history that includes assault with a deadly weapon and domestic violence.
Diamond had 16 years of experience in law enforcement. He worked with the Los Angeles Police Department from 1995-2002, then with the Montebello Police Department from 2002-03. He joined the Pomona Police Department in 2006 and its SWAT team two years later.
Diamond is survived by his wife, a son, daughter, mother, father, sister and brother. He was buried last week.
— City News Service

