[symple_googlemap title=”” location=”631 W. 111th Place, South Los Angeles, ca” height=”300″ zoom=”13″]

A man who apparently fell asleep while smoking was critically burned Monday when flames erupted in the bedroom of his South Los Angeles duplex.

The fire was reported at 2:19 p.m. at 631 W. 111th Place, according to Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department. A 57-year-old man was found on the porch of the home, which had been converted into a duplex, he said.

The man had burns over 60 percent of his body, and 40 percent of the burns were third-degree, according to Humphrey, who said the man was fighting for his life.

Firefighters doused the blaze in about 13 minutes.

Humphrey said the fire was “caused by careless smoking.” Although there was a smoke detector in the man’s home, it wasn’t clear if it was working. The duplex was not equipped with sprinklers.

Damage was estimated at $60,000 to the structure and $10,000 to the contents.

City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.