A gang member who fired at police officers when they attempted to detain him near downtown Riverside, then hid out in a stranger’s home for hours before being flushed out, pleaded guilty Thursday to attempted murder.

Fidel Corona Jr., 21, admitted the felony count, as well as sentence-enhancing gun and gang activity allegations, when his case was called for a preliminary hearing at the Riverside Hall of Justice. In exchange for his admissions, the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office dropped charges of committing a crime while on bail and carrying a loaded firearm without a permit.

Superior Court Judge Emma Smith scheduled a May 4 sentencing hearing for Corona, who is being held in lieu of $1.1 million bail at the Robert Presley Jail in Riverside. The prosecution and defense stipulated to a sentence of 25 years in state prison.

According to Riverside police, officers came into contact with the defendant about 9 p.m. on Dec. 11, 2016, in the area of Franklin and University avenues.

Corona, who was wanted on a misdemeanor warrant, took off running when the patrolmen approached. The East Side Riva gang member ignored the officers’ commands to stop and pulled a semiautomatic handgun, firing a single shot in their direction from roughly 40 yards away, according to prosecutors. No one was hit.

The officers lost sight of the defendant near the intersection of Kansas Avenue and Loma Vista Street, a block from where the chase started, according to police spokesman Officer Ryan Railsback

“While a yard-to-yard search was being conducted, a resident in the 2000 block of West Linden Street reported a subject had entered their home and said the police were chasing him and he needed to hide,” Railsback said then. “This residence was surrounded, and officers confirmed the suspect who shot at them was inside.”

All other occupants of the residence evacuated safely.

A SWAT unit was summoned to the location, as well as detectives, who made multiple announcements urging Corona to surrender, without a response.

A search warrant was obtained, and SWAT members forced their way into the residence shortly after 3 a.m. on Dec. 12. A police canine cornered the defendant in his hiding place, and he was taken into custody without further incident. His pistol was also found and seized.

No one was injured during the chase and ensuing standoff.

At the time of his arrest, Corona had a felony theft case pending, as well as a misdemeanor case for driving without a license. He had failed to appear at a hearing scheduled in the latter matter when the police confrontation occurred, records showed.

The theft count was included in the plea deal, while the misdemeanor case was dismissed.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.