A 28-year-old Santa Ana man was behind bars Wednesday on suspicion of threatening his girlfriend and also attempting a restaurant heist at gunpoint, police said.

Officers were called Monday evening to Fernando Becerra’s Santa Ana residence after he got into a domestic dispute with his girlfriend as she was trying to take their 1-year-old son to a doctor, Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna said. The switchblade and gun-wielding suspect had allegedly threatened to kill the woman and their son, and also threatened suicide, but left before officers arrived, the corporal said.

Police got the woman and the baby into a shelter to keep her safe, Bertagna said.

About 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Becerra allegedly attempted to rob Mariscos Hector #1 restaurant at 1801 S. Main St. at gunpoint. The stickup was foiled when the employees saw him coming and left through a back door, Bertagna said.

With no one left to open the cash register, Becerra fled and returned home to the 2200 block of South Broadway, according to Bertagna. When Becerra realized his live-in girlfriend and their child were not there, he called police to report that they had been abducted, the corporal said.

Meanwhile, an employee of the restaurant who knows Becerra recognized him as the alleged gunman and alerted police, who arrested Becerra at his residence, Bertagna said.

Becerra was booked on suspicion of domestic violence, making criminal threats and attempted robbery and was being held on $1 million bail, Bertagna said.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.