The Board of Supervisors renewed rewards Tuesday for information leading to the killer of a young boy in a suspected 2016 gang shooting in Altadena and the gunmen in unrelated fatal shootings outside a Bellflower house party and a Windsor Hills home.

Supervisor Kathryn Barger recommended renewing a $20,000 reward leading to whoever fatally shot 4-year-old Salvador Esparza about 10:30 p.m. on July 5, 2016. The reward, set to expire July 21, will now be available for at least the next 90 days.

Detectives said a suspected gang member was chasing a 27-year-old man onto a property in the 300 block of West Figueroa Drive and fired at least 13 rounds, striking both the man and the tot, who was shot once in the head. The wounded man survived.

Authorities believe the shooting was gang-related, and that Salvador and his family — who lived in Monrovia and were visiting friends — were not intended targets.

At the time of the shooting, sheriff’s Lt. John Corina said a person of interest had gotten into a heated, alcohol-fueled argument in the street with the live-in boyfriend of the boy’s mother an hour or two before the shooting.

The boyfriend and his brother were the shooter’s intended targets, Corina said. Several other children were asleep inside the house when the gunfire broke out, the lieutenant said.

Supervisor Janice Hahn asked her colleagues to renew a $10,000 reward for information leading to the whereabouts of Marco Garay, a person of interest in the shooting death of 25-year-old Oscar Ruiz in Bellflower.

Ruiz, a Compton resident, was seen fighting with Garay in the 17100 block of Downey Avenue just before the shooting occurred around 12:30 a.m. on Jan. 20, Hahn said.

Homicide detectives said Ruiz, the father of two young sons, came to pick up his girlfriend from the party. The girlfriend had been arguing with other women there and some partygoers followed her into the street.

“When Oscar arrived, he was truly an innocent victim in this case, he tried to diffuse the situation,” Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Charles Calderaro said at an April news conference.

Ruiz was shot in the street and died at the scene.

Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas recommended renewing a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the gunman who shot and killed 53-year-old Timothy Jackson on the night of Feb. 8 at his home in the 3500 block of Floresta Avenue in Windsor Hills.

Jackson, a father of three who worked in the real estate industry, was found dead in his backyard with multiple gunshot wounds by deputies responding to 911 calls reporting gunshots around 10:30 p.m.

Anyone with additional information on any of the shootings was urged to call the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500 or Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (8477).

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.