An unarmed man suspected of sexually assaulting and kidnapping a woman was in custody Saturday morning following a nearly seven-hour standoff with a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department SWAT team at a home in La Puente.
Deputies responded to a possible kidnapping call in the 200 block of Covina Boulevard around 7 p.m. Friday and found a woman at the location who had sustained visible injuries, said she was a victim of a kidnapping, had been held against her will and was sexually assaulted, according to LASD Deputy Erin Liu.
The woman was taken to a hospital in unknown condition.
The suspect refused to leave the home and a SWAT team was called to the location to try to get the man to surrender, she said.
At 1:45 a.m., detectives from the sheriff’s Industry Station walked up to the front door of the home and the suspect walked out and was taken into custody without incident, Liu said.
The suspect, identified as 31-year-old Aaron Martin, had threatened to blow up the home he co-owns with his father, according to NBC4.
Martin’s father told reporters at the scene that his son was “unstable.”
No evacuations of homes in the area were ordered.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: