A 20-year-old man who burglarized a Riverside home and then attacked a police officer when she attempted to detain him was sentenced Wednesday to six years in state prison.

Roberto Bravo Lopez earlier this month pleaded guilty to assault on a peace officer resulting in great bodily injury and burglary. In exchange for his admissions, the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office dropped a robbery charge, as well as misdemeanor allegations of resisting arrest, obstructing a law enforcement official and trespassing.

Riverside County Superior Court Judge David Gunn certified the terms of the plea agreement and imposed the sentence stipulated by the prosecution and defense.

According to Riverside police, Lopez forced his way inside a residence at 5975 Grand Ave., where he began rummaging through the female occupant’s belongings, shortly after 3 a.m. on March 24. The resident called 911, and a patrol officer reached the location within a couple of minutes.

Officer Ryan Railsback said the lone officer spotted the home invader walking away from the front porch and ordered him to stop, which he did.

“She began a pat-down search, but the suspect pulled away and began fighting the officer,” Railsback said earlier. “The officer was knocked down and kicked several times as she was defending herself.”

Lopez took off running north onto Old Mill Road, as Officer Tanya Pasco requested backup. Multiple patrol units converged on the scene, and officers established a dragnet to flush out the defendant. A short time later, he was seen hurtling backyard fences and fleeing in the direction of the Santa Ana River bottom separating Riverside and Jurupa Valley.

“The suspect left behind an article of clothing, so a bloodhound, `Raven,’ from the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department was called in to assist,” Railsback said.

The canine immediately picked up the defendant’s trail, leading his deputy handler and officers into the wash, where he was arrested while trying to escape, Railsback said.

Pasco was taken to Riverside Community Hospital, where she was treated for minor injuries and released.

The defendant had no documented prior felony convictions.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.