A 20-year-old man was sentenced Monday to 10 years in prison for killing his father during a dispute over the young man’s girlfriend at their Redondo Beach home.

Vincent Maxwell Finocchio pleaded no contest last month to voluntary manslaughter and admitted using a shotgun to kill his 46-year-old father, Frank Finocchio Jr., according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Nicole Bershon said factors in the sentencing included earlier violence by the father that may have led to the killing and the defendant’s lack of a violent criminal history, the Daily Breeze reported.

The judge noted the defense’s argument that the father had both hands outstretched in an attempt to kill his son before a shot was fired.

The defendant was originally facing a murder count and could have been sentenced to a term of 50 years to life if convicted as charged rather than taking a plea deal.

The elder Finocchio was shot in the head and died at the scene on May 27, 2018.

His son, a Redondo Union High School graduate, called 911 himself to report the shooting. He was arrested that night.

Police said other family members were at the home in the 2800 block of Fisk Lane when the shooting took place.

A neighbor told the Daily Breeze that she heard yelling at the Finocchio home that night, before officers arrived. Finocchio’s son had been fighting with his girlfriend earlier that day, the victim’s wife told the neighbor.

Prosecutors said the fight that ended with the shooting was about the girlfriend, but provided no further details.

The defendant’s mother tearfully apologized to her son in court, the Daily Breeze reported.

“I’m so sorry I didn’t take your sister and you out of this dysfunctional household,” Jessica Finocchio said to her son. “I am truly sorry for that.”

The young man’s attorney, Nigel Villanueva, told the newspaper he was happy with the plea agreement, in part because it would still allow his client to live a happy life after serving his time.

“I believe Vincent was confronted with a really unfortunate set of circumstances the night of the shooting,” Villanueva said.

Police had not been to the residence before and the defendant’s only other contact with authorities was a July 2017 arrest on suspicion of drunken driving, the newspaper reported.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.