A 37-year-old man wanted for allegedly fatally shooting a man who intervened in his dispute with his ex-girlfriend in North Hollywood, whom he allegedly kidnapped, was in custody Wednesday following his arrest in Riverside County, and the woman was found with him, authorities said.

Shane Winfield Rayment was arrested about 5 p.m. Tuesday by Hemet police officers who conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

The woman, 31-year-old Jenny Marie Downes, was in the vehicle with him, and was “battered and bruised, but alive,” an LAPD statement said.

The shooting occurred at 2:26 p.m. Sunday at 11378 Hatteras St., according to Officer A. Delatorre of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Operations Center.

Authorities identified the shooting victim, who died at a hospital, as Roberto Fletes, 42, of North Hollywood.

After the shooting, the gunman kidnapped his ex-girlfriend, and police issued a description of the man and a vehicle.

“The suspect was involved in a dispute with his ex-girlfriend,” according to a police crime alert. “During their dispute, the victim attempted to intervene and was fatally shot by the suspect. The suspect then forced the ex-girlfriend into a vehicle and fled the scene with her.”

Also listed in the crime alert were four people believed to have accompanied Rayment — a 30-year-old white man, 5 feet, 9 inches tall, 170 pounds, with long blond hair, blue eyes, a black shirt and blue jeans; and three white female suspects with no further descriptions.

When Rayment was arrested on Tuesday, another man was also in the vehicle, but investigators determined that he had no involvement in the case and he was questioned and released, the LAPD reported.

Rayment was booked on suspicion of murder, and was being held on $3 million bail at the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility in Banning, according to the LAPD. Rayment was expected to be arraigned on Friday at the Riverside County Superior Court Southwest Justice Center in Murrieta, according to the LAPD.

LAPD officers responded to Hemet to interview Rayment and to escort Downes back home, the LAPD reported.

“Downes’ injuries were not life-threatening,” an LAPD statement said. “She agreed to seek medical attention on her own should the need arise at a future date.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.