The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved two $15,000 rewards Tuesday for information leading to gunmen in the unrelated killings of an 18-year-old man apparently shot at random in East L.A. and a 23-year-old man gunned down in a West Puente Valley robbery.

Supervisor Hilda Solis recommended the reward in the July 5 shooting death of 18-year-old Diego Ortega-Reza in East Los Angeles. Ortega-Reza was with two friends in a car around 12:45 a.m., all on their way home from a Fourth of July party, according to Solis.

The car was being driven westbound on Cesar Chavez Avenue near Indiana Street in East Los Angeles when someone fired several shots into the rear of the vehicle. One of the shots struck Ortega-Reza in the head.

Investigators said it was unclear whether the shooter was in a vehicle or on foot. Solis said there was no indication the victims did anything to provoke the attack.

Ortega-Reza was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead five days later, according to coroner’s records.

Solis also proposed a reward in the death of Christopher Perez, a Baldwin Park resident who was shot and killed late in the evening of Dec. 11, 2020, near a restroom in Bassett Park at 510 N. Vineland Ave.

Investigators said were signs of a struggle inside the restroom that then moved onto a nearby sidewalk. They believe the motive was robbery. A necklace Perez had been wearing was found torn off and lying on the restroom floor, while his wallet and car keys were never found.

Anyone with information about either shooting was urged to call the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500 or Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (8477).

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *