The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office will not file criminal charges against USC receiver Bru McCoy who was arrested last month on suspicion of felony intimate partner violence, according to a report published Wednesday evening.

The District Attorney’s Office cited insufficient evidence when asked about its decision but offered no further details, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“We appreciate the careful consideration by both the District Attorney’s Office and LAPD,” Michael Goldstein, McCoy’s attorney, said in a statement to The Times. “We always trusted the process and the right decision was made.”

McCoy was suspended from team activities following his July 24 arrest.

USC said in a statement McCoy’s status with the team is “unchanged.”

“USC’s Office for Equity, Equal Opportunity, and Title IX is handling this matter,” a university spokesperson told The Times.

USC’s football media guide describes McCoy as “a physical wide receiver with much promise, figures to be an integral part of USC’s wideout corps as a sophomore in 2021.”

The 6-foot, 3-inch, 220-pound McCoy caught 21 passes for 236 yards and two touchdowns as a redshirt freshman during the coronavirus-delayed and shortened 2020 season.

McCoy originally signed with USC in December 2018 after a stellar career at Mater Dei High School and enrolled for the 2019 spring semester.

Several weeks later he transferred to Texas and participated in 2019 spring practice there, then transferred back to USC in the summer of 2019.

McCoy missed the first half of the 2019 season while recovering from an illness.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.