A 64-year-old man was killed Sunday when he and his disabled vehicle were struck on the San Bernardino (10) Freeway in San Dimas.

A second vehicle that struck the Pomona resident fled the location, the California Highway Patrol reported.

The fatal crash occurred a little after 4:45 a.m. on the westbound freeway at Kellogg Drive.

The victim, driving a 2013 Toyota Corolla, had been involved in an earlier crash with a 2002 Honda Accord that left his Corolla disabled in the No. 2 lane.

A 2010 Ford Fusion struck the disabled Toyota and the victim as he was exiting his car, causing fatal injuries to the Pomona resident. He was then struck by an unknown vehicle that fled the scene.

Paramedics were dispatched to the scene at 4:48 a.m. and rushed the motorist in the Ford Fusion, a 19-year-old man, to Pomona Valley Hospital in moderate condition with lacerations to his head and left hand, the CHP said.

A Sigalert was issued at 5:04 a.m. for the westbound 10 Freeway at Kellogg Drive, with traffic being diverted to the Orange (57) Freeway. It was canceled at 8:29 a.m., the CHP said.

A representative from the Los Angeles County coroner’s office was called to the scene at 5:21 a.m.

The CHP’s Baldwin Park office urged anyone with information regarding the crash to call them at 626-338-1164.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *