A standoff between sheriff’s deputies and a barricaded suspect holed up in a Valinda home is over Sunday after nearly 48 hours.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department tore holes in the roof in their effort to try to reach the suspect, CBS2 reported. The unidentified suspect committed suicide.

Mitzi, a 3-year-old maltipoo, was left behind when her owners had to quickly evacuate their home.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Hilda Solis issued the following statement after the standoff was finished.

“I have been informed that the suspect involved in the Valinda barricade situation has committed suicide.”

Solis continued, “After learning about the incident, I asked the Red Cross Los Angeles to deploy a team to Workman High School in the city of Industry and provide assistance to the impacted families that had to be evacuated from their homes. As the standoff went past 24 hours, my office was able to place displaced families in a nearby hotel thanks to the city of Industry and the Hacienda La Puente Unified School District.

“I’m grateful to all of our partners including Northgate Gonzalez Market and El Pavo Bakery for donating warm meals and water. To our Los Angeles County Sheriff*s Department and Los Angeles Police Department law enforcement deputies on the ground, thank you for the hard work you put in these last 48 hours, as well as our Office of Emergency Management and Department of Mental Health who were out there today.

“My office is reuniting families and coordinating so that they can get back to their homes safely. The Red Cross will continue to provide assistance, and residents were urged to call 800-675-5799. For mental health support, please contact 800-854-7771.”

The incident began shortly before 2:30 p.m. Friday in the 16900 block of Wing Lane, just west of North Azusa Avenue, near the city of Industry, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Deputies initially responded to the area on a report of a person firing shots at pedestrians, ABC7 reported.

Sheriff’s officials said deputies came under fire, prompting them to shoot back. The suspect barricaded inside a home, where the department’s Special Enforcement Bureau was called to assist. The LASD said that a Los Angeles Police Department SWAT team was assisting sheriff’s personnel.

A woman was taken to a hospital with injuries unrelated to the shooting, sheriff’s officials said. Her condition was unclear, as were the nature of her injuries.

Meanwhile, several neighborhood residents remained displaced from their homes. The sheriff’s Industry station coordinated with the La Puente School Police and the Red Cross to provide temporary accommodations at Workman High School.

Sheriff Robert Luna visited with displaced residents Saturday afternoon and tweeted: “I understand this is a difficult time for the Valinda community & appreciate the public’s patience. Thank you to @RedCrossLA.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *