A 13-year-old Burbank Unified School District student was arrested for allegedly posting criminal threats on social media, authorities said Thursday.
According to Burbank Police Department spokesman Stephen Turner, detectives were made aware of a possible threat against Luther Burbank Middle School, located in the 3700 block of Jeffries Avenue, Wednesday evening on social media.
After finding the post, police initiated an investigation to identify the individual responsible for the threat, Turner said.
Police then arrested a 13-year-old student and released him into the custody of his parents with a citation for criminal threats, he said. Detectives also recovered a replica firearm, which had been depicted in the social media post.
“The Burbank Police Department and Burbank Unified School District understand the rumors of a threat cause fear and anxiety in the minds of children and parents. Together, we want to assure you that incidents like these are taken seriously, investigated thoroughly, with those responsible being held accountable to the fullest extent permitted by law,” the Burbank Police Department said in a statement.
Anyone with additional information regarding the school threat was urged to contact detectives at 818-238-3210. Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477. During non-business hours or weekends, calls should be directed to 818-238-3000.
