street vendor
Street Vendor - Photo courtesy of The Image Party on Shutterstock Credit: Shutterstock

Two men who perpetrated a series of robberies targeting fruit vendors in Riverside and neighboring communities are slated for sentencing Thursday.

Edgar Menchaca Martinez, 32, and Arturo Romero, 28, both of Perris, earlier this month admitted 11 counts each of armed robbery and assault with a firearm, for a total of 22 felony charges.

The defendants made their pleas directly to Riverside County Superior Court Judge Gary Polk, without input or objections from the District Attorney’s Office.

No prospective terms of imprisonment were disclosed at the time.

Each man is being held without bail — Martinez at the Smith Correctional Facility in Banning, and Romero at the Byrd Detention Center in Murrieta.

According to Riverside police, the robbery series began in the second week of November 2023, when the pair held up a fruit stand in the 2100 block of Myers Street.

They targeted another vendor in the 2100 block of Van Buren Boulevard four separate times — Nov. 18, Nov. 23, Dec. 18 and Jan. 11 — Officer Ryan Railsback said.

Court papers indicated vendors were also held up around Lake Mathews and near Perris. The victims were identified in documents as “Joel G,” “Garcia Fruit” and “La Michoacana.”

No injuries were reported in connection with the robbery series.

Railsback said that as detectives were investigating the hold-ups, they learned similar ones had occurred in the sheriff’s jurisdiction, and the same two men were responsible for all of the robberies.

The ensuing joint police-sheriff’s investigation culminated in search warrants being executed last Jan. 18 at properties on McAllister Street, just north of Lake Mathews, and Penasco Grande Street in Perris.

“As a result, evidence was located linking both suspects to the robberies, and Martinez and Romero were arrested,” Railsback said.

Court records show Martinez has prior convictions for vandalism, driving under the influence of drugs and violating a domestic violence restraining order. Romero has priors for drunken driving, being an unlicensed operator of a motor vehicle and driving on a revoked license.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *