In the wake of the deaths of two women who attended an electronic music festival in Pomona, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to convene a task force to re-examine health and safety guidelines for “raves” on county property.
Supervisors Hilda Solis and Michael Antonovich proposed the task force.
“No lives should be lost while attending any music event,” Solis said.
A ban is not out of the question. Solis, whose district includes Pomona, introduced a motion in August calling on the county to explore the possibility of banning electronic music festivals on county property and said Tuesday that possibility is still being investigated.
Her proposal came on the heels of the suspected drug-related deaths of Tracy Nguyen, 18, and Katie Dix, 19, who both attended the HARD Summer Music Festival at the Fairplex.
“While the board supports musical events in the county, what is of paramount importance is the health and safety of the youth attending these events,” Solis said.
Supervisor Michael Antonovich suggested that alcohol should be banned at such events.
The supervisors pointed out that this is not the first time a task force has been convened on the issue.
In 2010, after 15-year-old Sasha Rodriguez died at the Electric Daisy Carnival at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, a task force recommended a number of guidelines for raves. A state law in her name set restrictions for events at state-owned or operated facilities.
“The most recent deaths have confirmed that procedures stronger than ‘general policy direction’ are needed,” the motion by Solis and Antonovich reads. “Enforceable conditions and restrictions are required.”
Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas agreed, saying, “Frankly, I’ve seen enough.”
Concert promoter Live Nation canceled a planned Sept. 10 music festival at the Fairplex, a move announced by Solis last week.
Live Nation has also agreed to adhere to stepped-up security and attendance guidelines — including a 21-and-over age restriction — for a two- day concert planned at the Fairplex on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1.
For that event:
— attendance will be limited to 40,000 per day;
— only people at least 21 years old will be admitted;
— cooling stations, shaded areas, misting stations and the availability of free water will be increased;
— anti-drug messages will be distributed in consultation with county health officials;
— hours will be reduced;
— security and medical services will be increased; and
— parking fees will be included in the price of the ticket to protect surrounding neighborhoods.
A report back from the task force is expected in four months.
— City News Service
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: