For the fifth time this year, a newborn baby was safely surrendered under the Los Angeles County Safe Surrender Program, Supervisor Don Knabe announced Wednesday.

The baby boy was surrendered Monday at a hospital in Montebello, Knabe said.

“As is standard practice, the newborn is in protective custody and will be placed with a family approved for adoption by the Department of Children and Family Services,” the supervisor said.

This is the 147th baby surrendered since the program began 15 years ago, according to Knabe, who has been a champion of the program since its inception in 2001.

“Though we have been able to save the lives of 147 babies so far, we need to continue to enlighten others that there is a safe, secure and anonymous way for mothers to get their baby into safe hands and protect them from abandonment,” Knabe said.

Under the county’s Safe Surrender law, a parent or guardian is allowed to surrender an infant who is no more than 3 days old at a hospital or fire station without repercussions if the baby shows no sign of abuse.

–City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.