Suge Knight. Photo by TheMcShark/CC-BY-SA-3.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Suge Knight. Photo by TheMcShark/CC-BY-SA-3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

A judge has put on hold a paparazzo’s battery lawsuit against former rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight and comedian-actor Micah “Katt” Williams until after criminal proceedings against both are over.

Los Angeles Superior Court Randolph Hammock said he will revisit the issue on Jan. 17, by which time he said a trial date in the criminal case likely will have been set.

Last week, another judge ruled after a preliminary hearing that there was enough evidence for Knight and Williams to proceed trial on a robbery charge for allegedly taking Redden’s camera.

Hammock’s Monday ruling came on a motion filed only by Williams’ attorneys for a stay of the civil proceedings brought against him by paparazzo Leslie Redden. Williams’ attorney, William Briggs, said he wanted to avoid the possibility that something his client said in the civil case could be used against him in the criminal matter.

In September 2015, Judge Howard Halm denied a request by Knight’s attorneys to stay the entire civil case until the civil proceedings against the record mogul were over. Halm urged the attorneys on both sides to come to an agreement on how to protect Knight’s Fifth Amendment rights and still allow the rest of the civil case to move forward.

However, Halm’s ruling came with a provision that the issue could be raised again, opening the door for the motion by Williams’ attorneys. Hammock found that it was more prudent for a stay to be imposed on the entire civil case rather than for only one defendant.

Redden filed her suit in June 2015. She alleges that on Sept. 5, 2014, Knight accused her of taking photographs of his son outside FilmOn Studios on Canon Drive in Beverly Hills, yelled an epithet and advanced toward her.

Redden alleges Knight — who is facing murder, attempted murder and hit- and-run charges in a separate, unconnected case — threatened her with violence. She also maintains that Williams and an unidentified female knocked her to the ground and pulled her camera from her neck while telling her to delete any photos she took.

The plaintiff maintains she did not take any photos, and that an eyewitness who worked at a nearby restaurant told Williams and the woman to stop their alleged attack on Redden, who says the alleged assault left her with a concussion and injuries to both hands.

Redden, who is currently acting as her own attorney, agreed to the stay of her case. However, she wept as she told Hammock that she believes the alleged attack was captured on surveillance video and that she believes it is important to her case that she obtain the footage.

Outside the courtroom after the hearing, Redden used her cell phone to show still and video images she has taken of such celebrities as Angelina Jolie, Sylvester Stallone and Mickey Rourke. She said she shot some of the last photos of director Paul Mazursky before he died in June 2014.

“People who know me know how hard I work and they respect me,” Redden said. “I have a different approach from the other people shooting.”

Redden said she has continued to work even though her hands, vital to her work as a photographer, were badly hurt in the scuffle. She said her eyesight also was affected.

“If I don’t work, my heart would break,” Redden said.

Williams said she filed the lawsuit as a matter of principle.

“I do believe you have to stand up for something,” she said. “Even if I lose, I know I did the right thing.”

Knight is charged with murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run charges for allegedly running down two men with a pickup truck on Jan. 29, 2015, fatally injuring one of them, in the parking lot of Tam’s Burgers in the 1200 block of West Rosecrans Avenue.

—City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.