With concern over the coronavirus continuing to spike, Disneyland and Universal Studios Hollywood announced Thursday they will close to the public on Saturday.
The theme parks had been temporarily exempted under new state guidelines barring public gatherings of 250 or more people announced by Gov. Gavin Newsom. Disney officials said Disneyland and California Adventure Park will remain closed through the end of the month. Universal Studios tentatively plans to reopen March 28.
“While there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 at Disneyland Resort, after carefully reviewing the guidelines of (Newsom’s) executive order and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park, beginning the morning of March 14 through the end of the month,” Disneyland announced in a statement.
The theme park’s hotels will remain open until Monday so guests can have time to make travel arrangements. Downtown Disney will remain open. Disneyland’s employees will continue to get paid during the furlough.
The theme park says it will “work with guests who wish to change or cancel their visits, and will provide refunds to those who have hotel bookings during this closure period.”
Guests can get questions answered or reservations canceled by calling 714-520-5050.
Newsom praised Disneyland for making “the right call in the interest of public health.”
The governor added, “Expect more announcements like this shortly.”
Universal Studios officials said the park’s closure is being done “out of an abundance of caution and in response to the guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health.”
Universal CityWalk will remain open.
Although park officials said they hope to reopen March 28, officials will “continue to monitor the situation.”
People with questions about Universal tickets were urged to call 800-864-8377, and use option 9.
Magic Mountain and Knott’s Berry Farm have not announced closures.
Newsom said earlier Thursday he opted not to include the venues in his 250-person-gathering ban due to the “complexity of their unique circumstances,” but discussions were ongoing. Casinos, card rooms and theaters were also exempted.
“I had a conversation with (Disney Executive Chairman) Bob Iger yesterday,” Newsom said. “We’ve been meeting with our partners in our tribal nations. We’ve been meeting with leaders of those respective industries. The complexity of their unique circumstance requires additional conversation, different kind of engagement, and in real time, we’re in those conversations and engagement.
“The reason we didn’t do it is because of the complexity of their unique circumstances, but I assure you, we are moving quickly and effectively toward a resolution in those spaces.”
Newsom said officials from the various types of venues raised “legitimate concerns” that prompted him to exempt them from his public-gathering ban.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: