[symple_googlemap title=”” location=”14081 Magnolia Street, Westminster, CA” height=”300″ zoom=”13″]

Five adults and a child were left homeless Wednesday when a fire gutted their mobile home in Westminster.

The 4:30 a.m. blaze at Prado Verde Mobile Estates, 14081 Magnolia St., was caused by an electrical malfunction in a rice cooker plugged into a multi- plug adapter, according to Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Concialdi.

The residents managed to escape unharmed, but the mobile home, which was paid off, was a complete loss, the captain said.

The residents did not have fire insurance or working smoke alarms in the home, according to Concialdi, who said the damage was estimated at $150,000.

It took firefighters about 45 minutes to get the blaze under control, Concialdi said. The residents were able to get out OK because one of the adults “heard popping and crackling in the kitchen and started yelling for everyone to get out,” he said.

“It could have been deadly, but, fortunately, they all got out alive,” Concialdi said.

Firefighters recommend that appliances be plugged into a wall outlet as they demand too much current for adapters, Concialdi said. Only adapters with circuit-breaker switches should be used, the captain added.

City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.