A Garden Grove woman described as a ringleader in a white supremacist gang was sentenced Friday to 20 years in prison for the kidnapping and assault of a man she blamed for her car being impounded.

Ruthie Christine Marshall, 45, avoided a retrial in pleading guilty on Jan. 27 to kidnapping, extortion and aggravated assault and admitting a sentencing enhancement for gang activity. Her first trial ended with a jury deadlocked 11-1 in favor of guilt.

Marshall was the first defendant to go on trial as a result of “Operation Stormfront,” an investigation that led to the arrest of about 50 members of white supremacist prison and street gangs in Orange County.

Her husband, Wayne Marshall, who was also charged in connection with Operation Stormfront, is an alleged “shot caller” in a gang that he allegedly ran from an Orange County jail cell while awaiting trial on charges stemming from a series of robberies.

As part of Operation Stormfront, Orange County sheriff’s deputies and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives investigators working undercover infiltrated white supremacist gangs including Public Enemy Number One, or PEN1, and the Aryan Brotherhood.

In Ruthie Marshall’s case, prosecutors said she was angry that police impounded her car after a friend borrowed it without her permission. She and another defendant, Jeffrey Peek, lured the man in July 2010 to a motel, where he was beaten and told to cough up the impound fees, prosecutors said.

The victim was lured to another motel on Aug. 5, 2010, where Marshall, Alexander Manfred Lind and Jesse Raffensberger beat him again, according to prosecutors. Lind and Raffensberger also reached agreements with prosecutors and were sentenced to seven-year prison terms.

Peek reached a plea deal with prosecutors before going to trial with Marshall and was sentenced to 12 years to life in prison, according to Deputy District Attorney Jim Mendelson.

City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.